Impressive Bathroom Remodeling Services
Click here for remodeling tips
Your village allows homeowners to act as a contractor for their own home remodeling projects. It must be noted, however, that a permit is required for all projects in which an addition or alteration will be done to the property. Additionally, projects that require the alteration of the roofline of the existing structure must have drawings sealed by an Illinois licensed architect or structural engineer. Lastly, check the covenants for your subdivision before proceeding with any work; individual subdivision covenants may have special requirements and restrictions.
Obtaining a Permit
Although people consider obtaining a permit to be a burden, it does serve a critical role in any construction project. Having a permit entitles each homeowner:
- Provides inspectors to answer questions:
- Offers some security from contractor fraud:
- Allows inspectors an opportunity to verify that the contractor is working in a professional manner.
TIPS ON HIRING A CONTRACTOR
- INSIST ON A WRITTEN CONTRACT Obtain a written contract and make sure you understand the terms. Include a time frame for the completion of the project, but do not rush. Include terms of a payment plan and agree as to who will handle additional unforeseen expenses.
- MAKE SECURE PAYMENTSIt is not unusual for a contractor to require some money up front before construction starts. Never pay the full cost of the job up front. If a contractor insists on full payment up front, run to a legitimate contractor. A deposit of 10-20% is the normal for any contractor to request up front.
- CONDUCT INTERVIEWS WITH POTENTIAL CONTRACTORS. Remember the contractor is working for you. Be certain that you are comfortable working with this person. Additionally, talk with friends and neighbors: people who have had experiences with contractors (good or bad) are always willing to share their knowledge.
- CHECK WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. Checking with the Better Business Bureau will give you an opportunity to assess a potential contractor’s work history.
- VERIFY THE HANDLEING OF INSPECTIONS.Come to an agreement as to who will handle the permit and inspection process. If the contractor is scheduling the inspections, ask for copies of the results and keep them with the permit.
- MAKE SURE THE CONTRACTOR HAS INSURANCE.Without insurance you may be liable if a worker is hurt in your home. Your village does have an ordinance requiring all contractors working within village limits to be licensed and bonded.
- ASK FOR AT LEAST 3 REFERENCES. Make sure that the sources had work done that is similar to your proposed project.
- GET AT LEAST 3 BIDS.Check material pricing with that of your local building supply store to see if the price quoted is fair.
- ESTABLISH A REASONABLE TIMEFRAME. If the contractor states the project will take 8 weeks, do not insist on 6 weeks: doing so might affect the quality of the work.
In many Palatine homes, the bathroom is often the room most in need of a renovation, but the last to be done. However, the difference that a bathroom remodel can make is huge and you certainly won't regret the decision. Cypress Builders is here to help with a professional design-build bathroom remodel that addresses every detail of the room.
For any bathroom remodel, a Cypress Builders specialist will visit your home to not only see the room, but also to hear what problems you're looking to solve with the renovation. Better showers, toilets, and sinks are common concerns, but we'll also look for other ways to provide big improvements, such as bathroom lighting, flooring, and organizing fixtures to maximize the usable space.
We understand that completing a bathroom remodel in Palatine can be a trying time. For that reason, our team of experts will work around your schedule to make as little an imposition as possible. While on the job, we'll work effectively to ensure that the bathroom renovation goes quickly without sacrificing quality and get your bathroom back to full functionality.
To schedule a visit from a Cypress Builders bathroom renovation expert, call 847-963-2303.